Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Job Application Time. Any Advice?

I thought I'd just make a quick post for all three of you wondering what's happened to the molecular turtle. It's become a rather busy time in my life for several reasons. The first is that the programme I'm in has a co-op portion that starts in January; however, we are applying to job postings at the moment. What that meant last week is that I had to revamp my resume and prepare 11 cover letters. Now that wouldn’t have been so bad but I have a massive project due and a presentation this Tuesday and Wednesday. I would even have been ok with that but it turns out that one of the speakers for our seminar series has dropped out. What that means for yours truly and his group is that our seminar has been moved up two weeks. Thus I have a 3 hour exam and have to give a seminar about lifestyle drugs to about 200 people and whoever decides to watch on the web. Coupled with the fact that my group consists of three people instead of the usual four, it’s been a busy time for me. Now in better news I have an interview coming up for a placement in a major pharmaceutical company so I’m pretty excited. I also have to thank all you folks for making my last post a comment extravaganza it’s really great to know people are reading. Lastly, seeing as my major focus is getting a job these days in a pharmaceutical company, does anyone have any tips for cover letters, resumes and job interviews? They’d be much appreciated.

7 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Nik said...

You're the coolest.

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you are busy! Um, tips? Nah not really...I just got mine all done professionally and applied to a job with in my program (LIBIT) and was told my "resume stinks". So so much for getting it done professionally. I'm to bring my old one in to them next to see how that one is...man! if my old one was better all along I'll be so frusterated. If I were you though I'd try to keep my resume down to one page, if possible, with all the specifics geared toward the position you're applying for.

A side note: check out my new blog looks. I felt like a new design again. :) I love trying out new themes/templates!!!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Keep them brief, and triple check for typo's, especially on your resume.

Good luck!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger lulu said...

Keep the resume brief and use an easy to read font. It isn't a menu, it's a resume. Use action words.

Your cover letter is there to sell you, it is marketing tool, use it. If you can personalize it for each company, so much the better. Take a few minutes to figure out what the company is looking for, and position yourself accordingly.

During a job interview, it is perfectly acceptable to repeat the question in order to clarify it, and to give yourself time to formulate an answer. Get a book out of the library, and read up on interview questions, that way you will have answers ready for most of them. Dress appropriately and polish your shoes.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

^ Best advice possible.

Also: quadruple check for spelling errors. And, when asked if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

Wow.

I worked in Recruitment for over 2 years and have myself held many, many jobs.

Dress for the role you want. I can't tell you how many people turned up shoddily dressed or smelling of body odour. It doesn't take much to be clean and neat.

I know you won't have any problems blossom!

Good luck!

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Where have all the turtles gone...?"
Instead of flowers...I thought of turtles here...you know from the Beattles song? But ya long time no hear from...hope all went well with the job hunting~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home