Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Return Of The Bunny Suicides


The weeks seem to fly by these days and the summer seems to have gone by in a blink of an eye. I guess that's what weekly presentations, tests and labs do to you. This week’s presentation was on opium and metabolic engineering of poppies to accumulate the good stuff at the cost of the bad. So if you want to know how to turn morphine into heroine in one easy step I’m your man. Who says you don’t learn anything useful in school these days? The task over the next few weeks is to come up with a design for a Smog filter either using enzymes of normal filter materials. On the off chance that any of my vast readership (That means all four of you!) knows anything about filters or materials or even enzymes that take care of sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, or ozone drop me a note.

Although my summer has passed by I’ve had a great weekend. The wonderful Nikki came to visit me and she came bearing gifts! From out of her tickle trunk (or more accurately a stylish laptop tote), she brought out what has to be the greatest book of all time. Yes, you’ve guessed it, 'The Return of the Bunny Suicides'. Each page is filled with ingenious ways with which our furred friends come up with ways to put an end to their pellet filled existence. Expect the next few entries to have pictures from the book.

I also made it out to the zoo with Nikki, Steve, Konrad and his gal pal Stefani which was entertaining. We discovered that our tiger friend who we had seen rockin and rolling 103 days before (wow how’d you guys know that was tiger gestation time) had given birth to cute kitties. It’s amazing how much like us they are. For example the Tiger dad was passed out in the den while the mom was off in another room taking care of the babies. If you want to check out the tiger baby web cam click here. The zoo also brought out the fact that Nikki and I often have different perspectives on things. For instance while checking out the new mother orang-utan and her baby Nikki commented on how cute the baby was. My comment was “Check that out the mom keeps shoving her finger up her bum look how far that is!” I also got to check out some quality B movie material this weekend in the war of the gargantuas. Highly suggest it if you’re into bad voice overs, scared asian people, painted backgrounds, and Tonka trucks masquerading as real vehicles.

I’ve also started to plan my camping trip to Killarney and just now have come to the realization that I’m seriously lacking in reading material for the trip. It would be great if you let me know of any great books that I should pick up along the way. I’m a big fan of Thompson, Vonnegut, Adams, Stevenson and Goodkind (hangs head in shame) to give you some idea of my tastes. Keep in mind though that I’m by no means set in my ways so feel free to suggest anything that’s you think is good.

15 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Nik said...

No Bukowski! It gives you a filthy mouth! :D

Miss you, sweetie.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger katy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger katy said...

Ever read anything by Ted Dekker? I highly recommend "Thr3e".

Have fun on your trip...

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger jin said...

Haha...you know I'll recommend something with food!
"On Food & Cooking"
gives you the chemistry behind food.
Invaluable tool for people who try to replace 'eggs' in any recipe.
;-)

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Quindigo said...

I want you to know I dreamt about concocting my own cocaine in a lab last night after reading your entry....ha!

The best book I've read in a few years is "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. The premise is a bit like the movie The Butterfly Effect, but much better.

Thank you for the photo compliment - and no, I don't have photoshop but my camera has all sorts of buttons and gizmos on it so I've been trying to teach myself (and old dog) some new tricks.

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

Pah. Nice bit of self-depreciation. You have WAY more regular visitors than me.

Have a nice trip, am at a loss to remember any book of substance that I may have read lately. I just don't think chicklit trash will suffice.

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. Have a great time on your trip even though camping does not sound like a good time to me. Unless you're camping in a hotel and then I'm all for that.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Camping is tons of fun it just depends on who your with. I'm lucky enough to have Nikki and Ruben/Steve coming along. Two more weeks until I can actually go though. I'm going to have to pick up a few of the suggestions before I head out though

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

For a camping trip, why not Tolkien?

In any case, have fun!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger sarah said...

uh... i don't know anyone who has any opium lying around that they need to turn into heroine... that's crazy. Also, the zoo is depressing, but is made fun by the people you go with.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger jaclyn said...

the cubs are sO cute! thnx 4 stopping by my blog.. have a safe and fun trip =)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is an excellent read. I couldn't put it down

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Turtle,
I just wanted to inform you of my blog url change. I paid for it so that I don't change it again. But ya come check it out. If you stop by, look for the heading "My Template" under Catgories and read all about the neat things my template offers, such as how UPICK which background you would like to use.
Demara

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger S. said...

Book suggestion: "The Life of Pi" Had me thinking about it for days afterwards...and again now...

B movie suggestion (pre camping, obviously): "The Ape"
Have to say the the beginning was way funnier than the end, but it will combine the finger up the butt awe with the quirks of Vonnegut.

Good luck with the opium!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger kittycatlane said...

Hey, what did you end up using for the smog filter? All I could think of is that nature has ways of doing that... so now I'm curious what you ended up using or doing.

As for reading on a camping trip... do they have a book of, "When animals attack"? LOL
How about 101 ways to cure snake bite?
Or... "Contageous diseases and water born parasites of Killarney"
Now those are some good reading! LOL BIG HUGS, Steph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home