Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Friday, July 21, 2006

Sleep? I remember sleep, USE to be a good friend

What a long week! I started a new protein chemistry module this week. What that means is instead of building a cadbury keish my time was spent building a glucose biosensor. While biosensors are cool they're definitely lacking in the tasty department. The name of the game this week was presentation, in fact it seems like I’m going to be doing many of them. I love presenting, probably owing to the fact that it combines my two loves, talking and being the centre of attention but I’m sure I can learn a lot from others. This leads me into the questions I’d like to ask you friends and neighbours. Do you have any presentation tips? What do you think the main difference is between a good presentation and a bad presentation? Keep in mind that the material unless you’re an uber nerd is way less interesting than my close encounter of the smelly kind in Yorkville.

7 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger S. said...

I do find it odd that you liked the NICU entry. I wrote it mostly so I would remember a little of what I did there when I rotate through again in two years.

As for presentation tips, I always get good responses from including some personal touches scattered throughout. Sort of wakes people up. Personal pictures with short little stories. I also had a professor who would include funny punny article titles or misprints or wierd street signs in his lectures. Sometimes it was the deciding factor on whether I went or not.

Enjoy being the center (or centre--the Brit Lit major in me appreciates that part) of attention.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Open with a joke. Preferably one that involves sex and grandmothers.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger whyioughtta said...

I always love presentations that start with the presenter doing the opening riff of Black Sabbath's "Crazy Train." Remember though, it's much better if you play air guitar instead of real guitar. And hum along.

On a more serious note, I get more responses in presentations by constantly touching base with the audience. "Does this make sense?" "Are you still with me?" "Who can think of two uses for flux capacitators?"

Hope that helps and thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I like yours--I'll be back.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger jin said...

I always take a platter full of pastries with me for presentations.....but that's probably just me. Hahaha! Cool thing is it doesn't matter what I say!!! They LOVE me!!! :-D

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Wow, I have some really awesome contributors. Just wanna say thanks. You all have some great tips. S. and CP I agree humour can definitely keep things interesting coupled with food and touching base you're unstoppable.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Jokes? A few good jokes, food, and a clear, concise and not overly wordy presentation.

I think I accidetally delated a comment of yours off my blog and I apolgize--it wa mixed in with a ton of comment spam.

Hope the rpesentation goes well.

I drink water when Im thirsty, the other stuff is just for fun.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Nik said...

Wear something high-cut and preferably not frilly.

While this is better suited to girls, you'd be amazed at how much more attention people will pay to men who do this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home