Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Don't Get Ripped Off Get Informed



I’d like to thank everyone for their suggestions on how to present effectively. I’ve incorporated a lot of what you folks have talked about and it made for an interesting presentation on medical implants. I would also like to thank all of you who came up afterwards to tell me I’m charismatic; God knows I need a bigger ego. While sifting through some material I came across something that you ladies and metro sexual men might be interested in. Skin care companies are ripping you off, St. Ives I'm going to reveal your "Swiss Secret". Now I know you all had that nagging feeling but you didn’t know exactly how you were being screwed. Recently a number of skin crèmes have popped up on the market with things like collagen, elastin, fibronectin and vitronectin listed as their active ingredients. The claim is that these are natural products of your body that will result in rejuvenation of your skin keeping you looking like a hot tamale. These proteins help with cell proliferation and wound healing in your body, which is why they have significance for the medical implant market but do they do anything when you put them on your face? Well they are proteins, which means they really like to bind water so they may moisturize your face. However you’d pretty much get the same effect by drunkenly passing out in a nacho plate (my preferred method of protein application). What they don’t do is rejuvenate your face resulting in cell proliferation as claimed. It’s a good thing too because another name of uncontrolled cell proliferation is tumour. While resulting in some cool topography on your face they’re not so good for your health. These companies are taking advantage of people by marketing a product with an active ingredient that’s not all that active. So don’t get scammed by junk science and slick marketing. That $10 crème without collagen is probably just as good as the $85 dollar one with it. If anyone out there wants to know the science behind anything else drop a comment and I’ll do a post on it.

10 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

Terrific tip! I'd still rather avoid face cremes, though...

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Douglas H. said...

How do shots get rid of allergies? Why won't the same techniques work against rheumatiod arthritis?

Cool blog.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

I knew they were jacking us! Bastards!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Busted said...

Yes, but the expensive ones feel like they work better!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger whyioughtta said...

I'm going to make myself a plate of nachos right now...

Also wondering: any tips on what does work in terms of skin care chemistry?

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger LaLa said...

Oh... I feel like when my Mum told me Santa doesn't exist. A little sad but deep down I knew it. There is a cream here advertised by Claudia Schiffer (and it must be good because she is a skinny old supermodel yes?) and "it's active ingredient is BOSWELOX"

Makes me laugh every time I see the ad because it just sounds so made up

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Nik said...

I use Oil of Olay. 6% Octinoxate, 3% Zinc Oxide.

It works for me.
Now go ahead and spoil Octinoxate for me too!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Thanks everyone for your input i'll try to get to answering everyone and i'll start in reverse order. Zinc Oxide is a chemical that works really well. It's usually in creme to absorb UV light therefore it acts as a sunscreen, so let me know if it says it has that property. Same deal for octinoxate. Hope i didn't spoil it for you:)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

whyioughtta, I can offer you a rule of thumb that is not universe but should serve you well. If it's a protein chances are applying it to your face is not going to do anything, chemicals on the other hand can work well (like nikki's zinc oxide).
d~ can of coke does'nt to anything to spectacular except for delivery way more calories than it needs. however i would recommend putting a penny in a coke glass overnight. You'll be amazed at what happens. As for dairy allergies no they won't make you fat (unless you start eating something fattening instead)
Doug- drug great question, really long answer that i'll get to by the end of the summer.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Nik said...

Hi, you're beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home