Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, August 20, 2006

There was a moose, and he drank a lot of juice way oh way oh

Yes boys and girls this week marks the final instalment of protein chemistry. This also marks the last lab based course I will ever have to take. Yes friends and neighbours this researcher and one time lab technician is hanging up his pipettes for good. I’m still going to be a science nerd so fear not; I just won’t be getting my hands dirty so to speak. I guess I shouldn’t be getting ahead of myself though since I still have to finish up my newly designed smog filter report and present it on Friday. If any of you folks out there are interested in what’s in your air and how it’s affecting you let me know and I’ll talk about it otherwise there’s no point in putting all 7 (yes my readership is growing whohoho) to sleep. Also have a couple of assignments to hand in but I’m floating on air because soon this boy will be out in the wild blue yonder.

Friday night the lovely Nikki is going to come down to Toronto and we’ll begin assembling everything we need for camping. Early Saturday morning Ruben is going to pass by and we’ll set out for Killarney Provincial Park for five days. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a lady friend to bring along to keep him company but there’s always next year. The pic I’ve posted up on the left hand side is at the top of this huge rock peak that they call, yes you’ve guess it “the crack”. I wonder how the rangers keep a straight face talking about the crack all day. They have one thing right though it’s probably one of the most beautiful cracks you’ll ever see (It'll be up by tomorrow night). The pic on the left is Georgian Bay off one of the trails. I think it’s going to be a ton of fun. Highlight’s of last trip include me asking Ruben “Where’s the gas lighter” only to find ten minutes later that he’d left in the actual oven which now had 4 foot high flames coming out of it. Thankfully it’s nothing throwing it into the lake couldn’t handle.

I really enjoyed the trails as well but this year I’m hoping to see a bit more than foxes, racoons, snakes and frogs we saw last year. If we’re lucky I think we’ll see a moose or perhaps a bear. If not I’m already super lucky to have Nikki willing to canoe out into the bathroom less wilderness and spend five days with me.

I’m trying to put together a list of the necessary stuff that I should bring. Among them are some of the books you folks have suggested (Thank you all so much, it’s much appreciated). What I’m asking of you great people this week is suggestions of things to bring along. You see I’m an absent minded molecular turtle and I’m making a list but there are tons of things I know I’m going to forget without your help. On top of that what are a couple of things you just couldn’t go without and I’ll give you toilet paper and food freebies. Oh and any suggestions for what makes up a good trail mix or perhaps some good snack for the trails, Jin this one is definitely your area. Another thing is what’s some great camping food?

18 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

My Dad and I used to hike up trails in the rockies when I was younger. We would always hike up in bear country because apparantly the fishing 7 miles up is better. So you load up your supplies including food, and hike up 7 miles to whatever lake it is you are going to and then set up camp. I slept with the bear spray tucked into my sleeping bag. Anyways, enough rambling, good camping food is s'mores.... mmmmmm

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like to bring a trail mix that includes chocolate of some sort. Fruit is always good too and to drink water.

I can't wait to see pictures of the Crack, hehe.

Oh and to answer your question. When you get to my blog you'll see the section in my sidebar called: Categories scroll down there till you find "My Template" click there and read about how to get around my template. OH and which background image did you choose, if you want you can answer me with that here
The answer to your question lies in the entry entitled: "The Title" which is found in the category "My Template". I hope that you and Nikki have a great time on the crack. :| Thanks for the comment! l8ers.

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops that link that's embeded in the word here actually takes you directly to the "my template" category. But the link in my name takes you to my blog's homepage. I really suggest you read about my template as it has many unique features. Reading about it may also in fact help you get around it. Or you could just experiment with it. Sorry to be commenting again. But I'm sure you don't mind. :) I hope I answered your questions. Demara

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger whyioughtta said...

Chrissy, your story about fishinig/bear dodging brought back memories of my own childhood...sounds like our dads would get along. Except I slept with a giant hunting knife under my pillow since we didn't have any mace/bear spray.

MT, I recommend a big sharp hunting knife, tucked under your pillow, in case you do get that bear encounter you desire. Also, cranberries and walnuts with a little salt make a really good sweet-salty trail mix that's good for you too.

I want to hear more about what's in my air and what it's doing to me. (Might explain a lot.)

Happy camping!!!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Demara said...

Just to let everyone know I changed my comment box on my blog, so now nothing is required!!! I removed code and personalized it by adding some stuff. Check it out! Also, if you ever need to find a post on my blog, you can type keywords into the search box on the top left of any page.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger jin said...

Ok...here's a quick link as I'm going off of 2 hours sleep right now...she just posted about good camping food ideas & she has good 'practically fool-proof' recipes. It's all that I can think of now...sorry. *yawns*

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, not all of your readers escaped the fun of reading about what’s in our air and how it’s affecting us. ;)

Yes, the infamous Ruben has finally spoken!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Quindigo said...

5 days without a bathroom?!!! I don't even love my son THAT much ;)

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Quindigo said...

Camping cuisine: s'mores, of course, and red wine.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Nik said...

No wine plz kthx baby.

I do agree with the suggestion of some chocolate in the trail mix. I need my sugars!

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Demara said...

Nice Pic. Is that you MT in the pic. too?

Oh and I just found out what spam is in this here blogland. Oops. Sorry for it. Demara

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Enjoy the crack!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Demara said...

Wow! The crack looks sooooo high up. Yikes! Did you have to rock climb to get up there?

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Death Warmed Over said...

Are you sure you want to see more racoons this year? ;)

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

Chocolate bars, marshmallows, graham crackers.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Back from your travels, Turtle Boy?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Demara said...

Just checking in, Check ya l8er.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

god's that's ruben in the picture. I have a few pictures I'll post of camping soon :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home