Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Friday, September 01, 2006

The Turtle Has Returned!


From the pristine wilds of Killarney Provincial Park the turtle has emerged, tanned, relaxed and ready for a new semester of medicine and biotechnology. I had a great time but I actually missed blogging which is weird since I never expected to like it to start with. I realized it’s because I have a ton of great commenters, so thank you folks. I’ll start today’s entry by giving a run down of the interesting stuff (and not so interesting) that happened day to day. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures yet so where I write (photo) there will be, yes you guessed it a picture. Our first day of the expedition consisted of Nikki, Ruben and I getting up at 6:00 and packing the car full of stuff we’d need. Once packed we drove an hour and a half to the cottage strapped on the canoe and drove another 3 or 4 hours to get to the wilds of Killarney. On the way we passed through some major construction which involved blasting through huge sections of the Canadian Shield and moving tons and tons of rock. It’s really amazing to think that we have the capability to totally modify our landscape to such an extent. It’s pretty much like saying hey there’s a mountain here, lets get rid of it.

Once we made it to our site, 63 woodchuck avenue for those of you that are looking for an awesome site. We started out with car camping but I have to say that the site itself was pretty nifty. There was a cliff behind us that people seemed to enjoy jumping off of, it would probably be about 25 feet above the water . We had an uneventful night except for the fact that while eating smores the fattest raccoon ever snagged a garbage bag and ran off into the forest. I also came across the raccoon underground railway. This happened to be a sewer pipe that they used to sneak into a French Canadian couple’s site and terrorize them. Mon Dieu!!

I woke up fairly early and managed to snag a picture of the misty lake which I found to be quite nice while Ruben and Nikki slept. Nice enough to wake up before the other musketters, well that’s debatable. It also meant that I prepared the gruel for breakfast, also known as Quaker oatmeal maple and brown sugar. I also happened to be the cook for most the trip, Jin you’d be proud. I’ve hot mad skillz as they say here in the hood. Later in the day we went on the crannyberry bog trail in hopes of seeing some wildlife, but alas it was not meant to be. We did however see a tipped over tree with a massive root system (photo). The bog was also really nice and was the site of many a photo. Unfortunately the rocks were fairly slippery from the rain the night before so there was much slipping and sliding. After returning from the trail we packed up and loaded our canoe on George Lake. We had the illusion in our mind that we could make it in one trip so loaded the canoe to the brim with Nikki stuffed in the middle. Unfortunately the canoe had other ideas and slowly started to sink like the titanic. So we unloaded it and made two trips, amounting to a 35 minute canoe trip each way. Strangely Ruben and I were much faster and better canoes this year because a trip like that would have taken us an hour last year. I have a feeling it had to do with the inspiring words of little Nikki. She shouted out commands such as mush mush! And sang old Guess Who songs “No Sugar tonight in my coffee, No sugar to night in my tea BAH BAH BAH” (actual rendition). In between trips we went to the town of Killarney to pick up some worms and koolaid (7 dollar koolaid). On the way we saw two moose crossing the way. To me it was really neat because I’ve never seen a moose before and they were totally not what I was expecting. It was pretty funny because one was standing on the other side of the road. It looked both ways and then crossed the street. We stopped were it went in and contrary to my belief they were not quite or graceful at all. They made more noise than bulldozers going through the forest.

Once getting to our site which was a really beautiful peninsula we found out that it was home to literally hundreds of frogs of varying sizes and colours (photo). It was also home to nikki’s dismay to many different snakes. I’m not sure what these ones are but one had an orange belly while another that we found was spotted. I also think I encountered a Massassuga rattler which made me jump ten feet back since it almost stepped on it. We had a nice campfire and howled along with the wolves (nikki will deny it but I’m sure I heard her cute little howl as well).

The next day we slept in spent most of the day fishing and napping. I caught a big bass, the biggest one of the trip in fact (nikki may or may not dispute this but I have photo evidence (photo, photo). We also were lucky enough to see a big mother deer and her faun come for a drink across from us while we were fishing. One thing I learned from this trip is that Nikki is the bass master. She was able to catch tons of little fish with a big hook. Although I think it was my hooking of the worms that was the key touch. That evening we had a fire and a beautiful sun set (photo). We also saw the ghost of Christmas Ruben coming after us through the fire (photo). That evening we also had a beaver visitor who was pretty interesting. He was picking his teeth with a stick and eating for about an hour.

The next day was pretty uneventful, we woke up late canoed around for a while. We went to two and bought some fish and chips out of a converted school bus. The fish and chips were pretty good considering it was from the inside of a school bus. Ruben swam across the lake, nikki and I fished and we had smores which is always a treat. The next day we took off for home. Things of note include that I took a pair of Rubens pants instead of my own before we packed up the car and realized they were not mine when I realize the waste was like 3x mine. Since the car was packed up I had to hold them closed until we made it back to the cottage. The other interesting incident was when Ruben was able to scarf down some wendies meal then put away another three burgers after that. Way to go Ruben! This trip also made me realize that I’ll always be a big kid. I may be a science nerd and that means I have a good idea of how the things around me work but that doesn’t take away my wide eyed wonder. I look around and see these great rock formations and massive trees and it still takes my breath away and makes me think how lucky I am. I also estimate the iron content and count the tree rings don’t get me wrong but I still think the world is truly an amazing an wonderful place. There’s a lot more to write about and I have a couple more days off but I think that’s enough for one massive entry. Anyone else doing anything fun with their summer?



13 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

It sounds like you had fun. You gotta love those racoons coming and stealing stuff right from your camp ground. I am jealous just reading this because I never got to camp at all this summer :(

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Demara said...

Aw the poor French canadian couple, how cruel. Mmmm oatmeal. Ya I think moose are smart, looking both ways before crossing the road, that's awesome that you got to see that (I talk a bit about moose in one of my "Childhood Memories" Category). I guess moose would be pretty easy to hunt hey, with them being so loud n all. Did you say that the beaver that visited you was picking his teeth and eating for an hour, or was that Ruben who was? Because I can imagine either one of them doing that, but for the beaver to be visiting you guys picking his teeth and making himself at home with you guys, now that would be interesting to see. (I love animals!)

A side note: if you decide to get a kitty, look into "Pets 1st" food, they deliver,have a website and use organic ingredients. The cats tend to be less moody and shed less with this food. We've used it for the last year and a half and love it (not that we've eaten it, even though we probably could, but we just love how the cats are on this stuff)! I have a link to it on my Helpful Places Page called: "Organic Pet Food", oh and if you can't find it there just let me know and I'll just give you the link, I don't want to put it on here and people think I'm spaming you or something, you know, because it's been known to happen? So ya, just ask me.

A Greesy Spoon place in a bus? Wow! That's unique and sounds real interesting to see. I love travelling just for that very reason, to see unique ideas is awesome. Thanks for the camping trip! What did I do that was fun this summer? Um...I read people's interesting stories like this one, relaxed from the stresses of customer service work on medical EI for five months, and visited friends and family. Now, I go back to school on Tuesday after being away for three years and already completing three years. I hope to graduate in April with a Diploma. Woohoo, to actually say "I am a Library Technician" will be awesome! Well, thanks again for the trip. I loved it!

Oh and I was wondering. Since I love reading you so much. I was wondering if I could add you to my blogroll? I know it's rather backwards of me to ask you after all this time, but I figure it's the proper thing to do. I find it easier to check in on people if they are listed in my blogroll, because I go through my blogroll everyday, at least I try to anyway. So ya, let me know k? Thanks, l8ers.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger natalie said...

Looks like y'all had a blast! My kids would have loved the wildlife and the fishing. Not much summer left here... Kids are back at school and the last summer hurrah is this weekend. We may go do putt-putt/mini-golf or gokarts at a local entertainment complex.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Quindigo said...

I read your whole entry naked (photo), while drinking coffee (photo), and had to laugh about the moose looking both ways before crossing the street.

I used to have a cat that did that (photo), but it turns out she was just getting good directions for when she ran away.

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip - welcome back!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Nik said...

Ahhhh!!! I already knew this, but you are the cutest man ever. After reading that last paragraph, you just reaffirmed my belief in that.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time....for camping that is LOL!

Only a man could comment on how much bigger another man's waist is. If this were two women, the fight would be ON.

Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Welcome back. I can't see the pictures - are they really there or is Marla joking? Maybe something weird is up with my browser.

I had always heard mooses (sp?) were dangerous. Glad you didn't get mauled.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger S. said...

Welcome back!

It sounds like you have more wildlife up there than we do down in Northern California camping. Mostly deer and chimpmunks in the campsites...until you get out backpacking that is!

My parents met hiking the Pacific Crest Trail when they were both 19 so I guess it's in my blood.

Never lose the wonder!

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

Welcome back, sounds like yoou, Nikki and Reuben had an awesome time! It's only just turned Spring here, but it has been fricking awesome weather so I cracked out my thongs to celebrate (that would be thongs on your feet) and had a few drinks at Opera Bar. Noice.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Nik said...

I am so glad you specified which type of thongs you cracked out. Haha. That was cute.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger jin said...

Turtle, I'm SO proud! You’ve hot mad skillz! ;-)

The photos ARE truly FANTASTIC!
(I wonder why coaster can't see them?!!? ;-)

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Demara thank you I would love to be on your blogroll. CP the pictures were not up but they should be now.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Quindigo said...

See, now my original comment just looks silly. Thanks, thanks a lot! ;)

(the photos are great!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home