Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Shameful Pleasures


I really have to say that the people who read my blog are really class acts. Thank you all for your support in this crazy and stressful time in my life. Strangely when I started blogging I never thought I’d see the day when a comment could make me smile or really make a day better. Recently things have gotten even busier due to the ineptness of my predecessor. One of the silver linings is that it is widely known now that these problems were not of my own creation so I’m not getting into any real problems. What it does mean is that I have an insane amount of work to do in a limited period of time. As everyone knows when you have more work than you can do in your nine hour day that means working overtime. I’m not getting paid hourly, unfortunately, but I am looking at this as a learning experience. If I can make it through this period of roughness at the beginning I don’t think anything will look as bad. Now since I feel as though I’ve bonded with you folks and you’ve all given me a case of the warm fuzzies I’m going to open up to you. Inspired by seeing high fidelity with the beautiful, the gorgeous, the spectacular Nikki Pea I am going to go through my top five little know embarrassing things about my self


5) I really enjoy reading New Scientist. In fact when I save enough for the school year I am going to purchase a subscription to the magazine. Know I know that does not seem very embarrassing to you but it’s like a journalist saying that they enjoy reading Cosmo for its literature. Most scientists see it as fluffy science but I find it’s really good to get long stories in good bite sized pieces. If I find I am interested in a particular topic I’ll go look it in a “real” peer review journal.


4) I have an unnatural affinity for shoe shopping. This is one that came as a big surprise even to me. One day I found myself shopping for a pair of brown shoes at the Eaton Center. It was then that the epiphany came, like a ray of sunshine bursting through the clouds. I found that I wasn’t grumpy and that I was enjoying the challenge of finding that perfect pair of brown shoes. Sadly, the shoes that became famous for their stylish nature have been retired to due salt damage. Fortunately, that means that my days of shopping for brown shoes shall return. Huzzah.


3) I once upon a time enjoyed playing dungeons and dragons. This is one that makes me shake my head even now. I’m not quite sure how it even happened. I think it was because I feel into a bad crowd one day. The peer pressure was just too much, I often refused. Then in one of my periods of weakness I accepted the offer, after all how could someone refuse elves. *Shudder* enough said.


2) I have a widdling set that I look forward to using when I have the time. This was a gift for me many moons ago when I had thoughts of becoming a dentist. My girlfriend at the time was thoughtful enough to get me the tools for my birthday one year (sarcasm). I don’t think it had anything to do with the fact that she wanted me to do well on the DAT and get into dentistry school. After all what 20 year old wouldn’t want a widdling set for his birthday instead of say, anything else? That being said I did use the thing a few times and found much to my surprise that I enjoyed using it. I haven’t done it for a year or so but next time I go camping I’ll be sure to bring it along.


1) This one takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to talk about. I, molecular turtle, play magic the gathering. In fact I have played for the last 12 years. Not only do I play, I love playing. I find it relaxing and fun at the same time. I really enjoy strategy games and this is definitely my favourite. I also like playing because I highly rated in the online version. I like it for its strategic element and the amount of skill it often takes to win. I enjoying going from a situation that looks impossible to one in which my opponent is scratching his/her head asking what happened. This is quite the big secret. Fortunately, my lovely gal pal knows about this nasty, nerdy, habit of mine. She’s actually the first lady friend of mine that I have told right away about this habit. I often thought of telling girls that I play as the best form of birth control ever, fortunately the Pie doesn’t mind. Strangely, out of all the women I’ve dated I’ve only told one other, the one that gave me the widdling set (I wonder if the two are correlated in any way) and she wasn’t impressed at all. She did like the pictures on the cards though so I gave her a few. I broke up with her two weeks later. (Again correlation or causation!).


So now that I’ve shared my inner most twisted machinations, how about you share your shameful pleasures?

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Shionge said...

Thank you for sharing MT, yep, blog buddies certainly bonded everyone together and I've made lots of friends through this platform too :D

I'm glad to know you enjoy shopping for shoes coz some guys just don't get it kekekek....

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Nik said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Nik said...

Whittle, cutie. :)

Top 5 Guilty Pleasures:

5. Quirky men. YOU!
4. Recording and listening to my own songs. I never think they're very good, but I'm still happy that I can create something.
3. Writing. This surely seems less dorky to everyone else, but it's kind of embarrassing to be crouched over a notebook that resembles a journal when inspiration strikes in public.
2. Babytalk. But you know this already.
1. Antiques Roadshow.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Library Mama said...

I feel as if I know you so much better - and I still like you immensely. I may even try out New Scientist. It sounds interesting. Do you think it would be appropriate for a school library? It may be a little too much for the students, but maybe the teachers would like it.

It think the quirkiest of your revelations is the shoe shopping one. I've never known a shoe shoppin' man.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Demara said...

I honestly can't say that we have any of your 5 top shameful pleasures in common, but what I can say is that I do in fact have a couple shameful pleasures like: Playing Clubhouse games on DS (my favourite games are: Turncoat, Bowling, and Darts), my second pleasure is: Blogging, and my third is well playing volleyball...and if you've ever read "My Profile" page you would have already known this though!!!

*P.S. I just wanted to let you know that I replied your comment over there under it on my blog for you. ~Thanks for it, the comment that is.(I think that's the only thing we have in common besides showering our loved ones with chewed up sushi.)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Never heard of "Magic the Gathering" but all I can say about your D&D confession is this: I hope to God you're not a reenactor.

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger jin said...

Guilty pleasure of the month:

I keep buying Cadbury Creme Eggs at the grocery store intending to whip up something sweet 'n tasty with them (I have no clue where this idea came from?! ;-) but they never seem to make it past my mouth.....

Guilty pleasure of the week:

Lurking at blogs but not commenting.

Guilty pleasure of the day:

Uh-uh. NO WAY. You can't make me talk.
:-D

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Nik said...

*blink*

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger BerryBird said...

Heehee. I am totally giggling over here about the widdling. Thanks to Nikki for the translation! I tried looking up widdling, and it is a word that means urination. Apparently it is derived from piddling. Heehee. I swear I never believed for one minute that peeing was your guilty pleasure, but it still makes me smile. OK, I'll stop now.

And I will think about shameful pleasures for you, I promise. It might take a while though. The 6 weird things meme took me almost two weeks. I hope your job situation eases up soon so you have time to get those new brown shoes.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Dino said...

okay I hve no idea what #2 is ????

mmhhhh what is embarasing about me ---- I hate to admit that I am a geek but deep down I know I am

I used to like New Kids On The Block

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Blog said...

I totally know what you mean -- how a comment can totally turn your day around. I TOTALLY know that feeling. It's amazing. Thanks for sharing your shameful little pleasures. Mine are all over my blog...! I'm full of them! I must say, Magic the Gathering sounds very intriguing.... :)

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

Salary income. Ew. You poor thing. I feel for you.

Shameful pleasure, huh? Since I quit smoking, I buy those candy cigarettes and pretend. Don't judge me. They're GOOD!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger ROENTGEN said...

well well well mister, nothing to bee ashamed of here. This is just the PERFECT mix between the healthy portion of geekieness and the modern life.

The shoe shopping is the proof that you still have the grip to the real world - I myself spend hours a day with playing world of warcraft, and the fact that I might not look like a nerdy pizzaface by now is the proof that I haven't lost my grip either...

So... where is my sword I wanted to prepare lunch...

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Eve Grey said...

I like to make faces at myself in the mirror when I'm all alone. I also like to do many weird voices. This is reserved only for close family & friends. Come to think of it, I'm really quite strange.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home