Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Whining about Wine

It’s been a wonderful short and rather uneventful week. The highlight of the week had to be when one of my great readers, Nicole, told me she was a friend with someone who does l genetic work with cauliflower that I mentioned in my previous post. I also wanted to thank everyone for your wonderful tips on cube decoration. I can now proudly say that you’ve pimped my cube.

There are times I sometimes shake my head and think why the heck did I buy this or that. It was my latest wine purchase that had my noggin shaking. I went to the LCBO and was looking to try out a new and wonderful wine. With 10 bucks burning a hole in my pocket I scanned the isles for the next fruit of the vine that would be mine. I wanted to try something new, interesting and different. When I made my way to the South African section it caught my eye. Yes folks it was Frisky ZebraS. I’ve pictured it left so that all can avoid its siren call.

It was due to this purchase that I’ve vowed to avoid products that alude to animals with high libido’s or zebra coitus, which the wine was probably fermented from. I’ve also learned to pick up on subtle clues about quality. For example, random capitalized letters in the title (like the S) or pictures of animals sniffing each others bottoms. Another dead give away might have been that it was packaged much like the juice boxes from my youth. Also much like the juice boxes from my youth I tried to finish it in one sitting both hoping that it would get better in time and to prevent waste. Sadly I was wrong, very wrong and I will have to finish it off before I open my next bottle.

Now for the part of my blog where I ask for your help yet again. This week I’m asking for your views on wine love it? Hate it? Indifferent? If anyone out there has any suggestions please let me know. I’m not a wine connoisseur in the least, my only preference is that it doesn’t taste like fermented zebra coatis extract.

Biotech Beat

Healing in the womb: High levels of maternal stem cells have been found in new born children with type one diabetes. It has been know for quite some time that there was an exchange of stem cells better mother and child but why this occurs has been disputed. These cells seem to be able to avoid the child’s immune system and recently they have been found in the pancreas and were functioning as B cells. What this means is that they were secreting insulin which is needed to avoid diabetes. This finding raises hopes that perhaps maternal stem cells could be used to treat children and correct diseases such as diabetes. I’m still waiting for more information on this one. In my opinion I think that perhaps the reason why the mothers’ stem cells are capable of evading the child’s immune system is that it’s not developed and has little to do with a maternal bond. What this means is that anyone’s stem cells can serve.

Gene mutation and addiction: This week a mutation in a gene called abcb1 was discovered. Mutations in this gene seem to dictate success on methadone treatment for heroine addicts. Some individuals needs half the dose, while others need double in order to beat the effects of this gene mutation and overcome the addiction

19 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

I like wine. It is not my drink of choice, but I do enjoy a nice bottle of wine now and then. I like that ice wine. But good for you for trying new things..haha

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Shionge said...

Hiya MT....this is by fair the coolest stuff I ever see :P Wonderful to have this as a collection.

I prefer white more than red really.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger natalie said...

If there is any available, try some of your local wines next time. Definitely won't have any zebra pictures on the box!

The healing in the womb: maybe because the maternal stem cells hadn't developed into anything yet, the child's immune system is "immune" to them anyway??? Just a thought!

Too bad it can't be that way with platelets!

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wine? hmm...let's see the best wine I ever had was in South Korea...nice and sweet and juicy...I hate dry wines!!!

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Library Mama said...

I love wine. Usually I have a glass or two of a nice dry red when my husband and I go out on the town. A couple of weeks ago, the waitress talked me into an Australian red that is packaged in a tin. It actually wasn't too bad.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Justmee said...

Hey you! Admit it, you seen the words "frisky" and thought,I'm all about that. Huh?

Anything chardonnay is a good choice. I bought some wine that came from Chili and wish for the life of me I could recall the name of it. It was really good. :)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks for the mention. Sad that it is my claim to fame, huh?

On wine, I LOVE IT!!!! I have lots of recommendations. The one I always tell people to get ahold of is Ravenswood Zinfandel. I hope you like red wine, because that's pretty much all I drink. The vintner's blend is good, but the old vines are even better. They also make a fabulous Merlot, but it's a bit more pricey. I will give some more thought to the recommendations and let you know what I come up with.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger BerryBird said...

I have never seen packaging on wine look quite like that zebra stuff. You are right that it looks like a juice box for a big kid. Maybe you can use it to cook with and then you wouldn't have to throw it away--or drink it, either. Lots of foods are improved by a little wine in the pan.

I have never learned to drink wine, so don't have any good credible recommendations for you. Although I have had the Ravenswood that Nicole recommended, and found it much more palatable than most. So I'll second that vote: buy what Nicole says.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

Well MT, as you know I drink lots of wine so consider myself a bit of a conniseur except I don't do any of that sniffing or swilling then spitting thing. Nope. Down the hatch for me.

Apart from the blatantly obvious, very inappropriate name for the wine, I am extremely concerned witht the packaing. that is Tetra-pak packaging, which as you pointed out is for juice boxes. Now we drink wine from a cask here, a cardboard box with a foil bladder inside which holds the wine which is then dispensed by a little tap (I believe the cask is an Aussie invention) but I have never seen wine in a Tetra-pak. It's just a bit wrong.

As for my favoruites:
Pinot Grigio
Semillion Sauvingon Blanc
and when it comes to champagne you can't go past Veuve Clicquot.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Dino said...

i like the sweet wines - Riesling is the dryest wine I will drink

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Gill said...

What about gene mutation for blogging addiction?? Hmm?
Wine, so good with pasta and garlic bread!!!
A good red, is the Australian Wolfgang Blass, in the yellow label, Cabernet Sauvignon.
Delish! Expensive-ish at $17 per.
Fat Bastard is a lovely French white.
Cheers!!! Oh and the name is fantastic too, right!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Eve Grey said...

LMAO at that post (well chuckled frequently at least). That is truly the most crazytacky wine "container" i've ever seen. K, not a connaisseur, in fact, I can't even spell the word but I like all the Wolf Blass'. I enjoy most Shiraz. Apparently the lack of a cork on wine no longer means cheap & is totally acceptable (much unlike the tetra-pak). There's a cheap Chilean wine called Santa Rita that I like. If you ask the LCBO people for a recommendation of an affordable wine, they usually recommend good ones.
Very interesting about the maternal stem cells & diabetes.
Whew, sorry for the verbosity.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Blog said...

I used to like wine, but now, it hurts my tooth. I swear. Everytime I drink it, my tooth throbs. I've had tons of root canals, etc., on it - but I still don't get why wine does this. So, I don't much like wine. But, I'd risk the tooth throb to try that zebra coatis stuff! Ha! Funny!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

In a way, wine IS like juice for adults -- albeit, aesthetes and dilettantes. ;)

In all seriousness, wine is wonderful. Better than beer, in fact.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Nik said...

Blasphemy.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger S. said...

If you guys have Trader Joes up there, try "Two Buck Chuck." It is decent and you really can get five bottle for that $10 burning a hole in your pocket. Otherwise, I'm partial the the California wines, Mondavi is a good staple.

I had to google the drug you asked me about so I'm probably not up the most recent info. Sorry.

Interesting about the stem cells, though. The research goes on.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there

My name is David Bate, and I am the creator of the Frisky Zebras brand of wines. I am a Canadian who has lived in South Africa for the past ten years and recently launched this brand to offer my fellow Canadians an affordable and approachable selection of value for quality wines in fun, friendly and environmentally friendly packaging.

I am sorry you had a bad experiecne with our wines. We have received numerous positive reviews for the quality of our wines. Many people appreciate our efforts to make wine more approachable through fun and friendly packaging that still delivers quality wine for price and helps the environment.

Wine is about personal taste. I personally enjoy our wines. We spend a lot of time (and have a lot of fun) creating the right wines for our products. But for you, we didn't work out. We will keep trying to deliver quality wines for value in the future and perhaps you will find our white wine or future varietals better suited to your taste preferences.

Thanks and kindest

David

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Oh dear, how embarassing. Turtle, I would advise you to avoid wines packaged in anything but bottles. That's the baseline. From there you can always ask the store clerks for their opinion. Tell them you want the best wine for the amount you are willing to spend.

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://dcxvssh.com]MranQWzEgMC[/url] , OaHIZn , http://yuxeflk.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home