Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Friday, January 12, 2007

They tell you to think outside the "box" when you're in a freakin' box all day long

Greetings from cubeworld, yes that’s right apparently cubicle has been replaced with the term cube. In all probability it’s because in my new company it seems to be a protocol that nothing is longer than four letters. I have a 66 page list of acronyms that I have to remember. I’m hoping that I’m going to not get confused That being said I love my new job so far and I hope it keeps up.

The best thing about this place is that everyone seems to be genuinely happy and like their job. Some of the great perks that come with this new gig are a laptop, discounts on our consumer products, a couple hundred dollars toward anything to do with fitness and three weeks vacation.

I’ve spent most of my week doing training and such. I’ve also learned that the best way to get stuff for your cube is to scavenge around recently abandoned cubes. I’ve come to work early and sneak around under the pretense I’m lost to scavenge. This is the part of the entry where I ask you folks for your input. What are some cube essentials? In other words what should I be scavenging for or buying?

BioSummary For The Week

Amniotic stem cells have been found to have many of the same traits as embryonic stem cells. These cells are found free floating in amniotic fluid and don’t involve destroying an embryo. They can be retrieved from the fluid by the same procedure as amniocentesis with the same risk to the child. Some of the benefits of these cells are that they grow just as quickly embryonic stem cells, they’re a genetic match to the future child (so they can be used to treat the kid later) and they’re pluripotent (They can change into many different types of cells but not all, embryonic stem cells are totipotent meaning they can become any other type of cell). The draw back is they’re limited in what types of cells they can become.

Stem cells: In the United States the House voted on January 11 to broaden federal support for stem cell research 253 to 174. This bill will probably be vetoed by Bush

Erbitux: ImClone Systems Inc’s drug erbitux just received positive results from phase III clinical trials. The drug is for treatment for colon cancer and is to be used in patients who have already failed chemotherapy. The drug is licensed to Merk and may be a treat to Roche’s Avastin although it’s hard to tell.

I felt this entry lacked some of my usual comedic elements so I thought I’d give you a taste of what conversations with Nikki and are like.

Random Comment from Nikki Pea: “When you get married you know how you need something old, something new, and something blue? Does the something old have to be visible? Can it be something like old underwear or a corset?”

21 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Eve Grey said...

Work acronyms are the bane of my existence. I love how people throw them around like they're cool, when really how terribly uncool is it to create an acronym for EVERY title that has 3 or more words?!!!

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat about the job being so perfect and all, except I don't know about memorizing all 66 pages of acronyms though, crazy! I'm sure you're doing wonders with science whether I understand or not..haha...and ya underwear I think would count. Why were you talking marriage anyway? Are you foreshadowing here or something? Are you and Nikki getting married? Do tell. (;
Oh and I answered your question on my blog for you under your comment.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Shionge said...

Yo! Love that perks and hope you'll memerise all those acronyms soon!

Best of luck here MT!

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Gill said...

Nikki's comment; Something old does not have to be visible. Or it could be the groom! LOL

Turtle: Some cube essentials!
~a page a day calendar, preferably a Zen one~!
~a cool lamp
~a picture of Nikki in a cool frame
~a small buddha statue to look at when you feel frazzled.
~a bowl of candies, to keep you in the social loop, other cubists will come out for candy!!!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Nik said...

Thank you everyone for responding to my little tidbit. I feel involved. Hearts.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger BerryBird said...

For the cubicle, you will need something by Despair, Inc., because their stuff is so brilliantly hilarious. Although everyone seems happy at your cube farm, so you'll want to be careful in making your selection. You don't want to get branded as having an "attitude problem". Another awesome item is the Dwight Schrute bobblehead doll, but that one really only works if you are a fan of The Office. Which I suspect you are.

I'm glad to hear the new job is working out so well.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger sarah said...

you love being a yuppy! :)

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Demara: I don't think Nikki and I are getting married. Although I have a bad memory so she may have proposed recently.

Sara: Those are both awesome finds. And you're right about me being a fan of the office :)

Sarah: I think you may be right. *hangs head in shame*

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Dino said...

acrenyms are your friend its learining them that takes time.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Library Mama said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your job. The perks do sound pretty good. And good luck with the scavenging.

Interesting about the amniotic stem cells...

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha thanks MT...

AND yay we won! Vancouver won!!! 6-1

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Blog said...

I'm actually loving "cube" -- it's catchy. The perks of your new job are pretty darn perky! Sweeet!

Oh, and in answer to your question on my blog.... Yeah, Tigger's fur should grow back after her surgery. When my cat Minden scraped is leg, the fur grew back white...but it still grew back. How bout I keep you posted? ;)

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

A potplant! Believe me, sometimes it's nice to have something living in your office that does not irritate you!

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

P.S. I love Nikki Pea's random comments, she is on my wavelegth.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

Cube is a new term? I've been using it forever. Damn. Coulda made some money on it maybe.

Steal other people's bookends and watch their stuff fall all over the place. ;)

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Nik said...

Oh he'll be all over that plant, Lala. Trust me. He's the plant man.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

It's always fun to come up with your own work acronyms, though...You know - during boring times...

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger S. said...

Can't you just have old blue borrowed...something? Undies would be a little intimate to borrow...maybe a hankie tucked down your dress. And then the dress itself is the new thing.

Anyway, also glad you're liking your job. Soon you'll be acronyming with the best of them and we'll no longer be able to understand what you're talking about. Stem cell research is interesting, too.

And for those of you wondering, the risk to the baby of an amniocentesis is about 1%. I had a professor who did lose a pregnancy that way so it's not unheard of. I usually would only recommend it if there is a high risk of a birth defect and if the results would affect whether or not the couple would keep the pregnancy.

And, MT, yes, it was a great place to grow up. I have loved California from the moment I was born. It has long been home to me. I'm quite glad to be back in the state. I did my stents in Washington and Ohio, but was always glad to come home.

Oh, and sorry about the dead toe comment/sloppy joe picture proximity.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

Decorate not only with necessities -- folder organizers and the like -- but your favorite comic strips. It will brighten the mood considerably.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger natalie said...

Hope your job is going well! For me, the cube was a step up and I just so happen to have one with tall walls.

As far as cube wear, I've got the page a day calendar, pictures and kid art. The buddah is a good idea -- I'll have to get one!

As far as amnio, I had one with child three. They had to do it twice -- didn't get any fluid the first time -- and I thought I was going to pass out the second time. It left a huge bruise on my belly, bigger than a quarter. Not fun! :(

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger ROENTGEN said...

bitechnics are so fooking complicated (you lerning that?) - my exboyfriend just got his master and i don't get a jiffy of what he's doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home