Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my!

Well dear readers I have some distressing news for you so make sure that you’re sitting down, have the tissues near and each others numbers so you can form a support group. It seems much to my chagrin and dismay the fowl are either coming much later in the week or are totally absent from the Royal Ontario Winter Fair. This means that there is no picture of me with my beloved prize winning pigeon

Despite this saddening fact I did have a lot of fun doing things such as checking out a warehouse full of cows, another of pigs and goats. My personal favorite was the horses I hope one day to own one. As promised I ended up buying a ton of fudge which I hope will last me until January, Jin how can I make this happen? (Besides keeping it a secret from my Italian family). I also ended up watching some horse jumping which was quite a bit of fun.

The weekend continued with Saturday which was tons of fun. Nikki and I headed to the zoo and were surprised to 1) find animals and 2) find them actually doing things. Now you’re probably thinking that I’m being facetious but the Toronto zoo lures you by hinting there are animals but the last time I went literally 68% of the animals were mysteriously absent. I think this is a great business plan people come to the zoo thinking they’ll be animals but instead they see you’re sign saying the animals are off display. In reality you’re not wasting time on animals and food. The only variable cost you have is the cost of printing those signs.

The highlight of the trip had to be when we went to see the mandrills. During my undergraduate career I took a course in primate behavior and actually got to be quite close with the prof and he even wanted me to be his grad student (how different my life would be if I decided to study lemurs in Madagascar). He taught me a lot about communicating with primates and I actually studied the mandrills at the Toronto zoo. It was interesting to see a group of students doing the same project that I did a few years ago. I asked the students what they thought of the mandrills and was told they don't do anything but I thought I could change that. Now Nikki is used to me and my weirdness so when I told her I could communicate with them she believed me. So I squatted down and made some faces and the female mandrill came over from the other side of the pen and she pushed her face against the glass and held her hands to the glass. The juvenile male wasn’t too impressed and started attacking me through the glass. When we decided to go the lovely little lady kept following me around the enclosure which was pretty funny. Chalk up another broken heart for the turtle.

CJ, I saw the Borat movie today and thought you might like to know what I thought. If you like the Ali G show you’ll probably like this a lot but it does tend to cross all sorts of lines. A few people actually left at one point. I thought it was pretty good but it wasn’t worth all the hype but it was worth seeing. Has any one else seen any good movies worth my 13 bucks lately?

15 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger jin said...

DUDE! The mandrill probably thought you were Adrian Brody!!!
;-)

Re the fudge...normally it has a 2 month shelf-life if refrigerated (depending on the ingredients used). Just make sure you wrap it WELL in film or foil or tightly sealed ziplock bags as fudge will tend to pick up flavours & odors. It can also be frozen for several months, again just wrap it very well.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to see animals head to Lightning Lake Campground in summer. You'll have deer looking in your tent and you'll dodge bears on the trails. Great fun.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Nik said...

That mandrill looks like me.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picture of the mandrill....hahah very cute!!!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger S. said...

So glad you had a good time! I tired to paste in some flamingo picts from the San Diego Zoo for you since you missed the waterfowl, but it didn't work. Suffice it to say, they're no prize pigeons.

And thanks for the comments. I did take the picture...and yes, I guess I do look a bit like her... (I wrote more back on my page).

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger S. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger natalie said...

Finally, I have posted. :)

Fudge is mmm-mmm good! Love the peanut butter variety!

So sorry your fowl didn't arrive, but it looks like the monkey was entertained.

We are supposed to go to the St. Louis, MO., zoo in January. Nice and cold! Doing it for the kids' birthdays (rather than having huge parties). The oldest one (7yo) is especially into insects and the St. Louis zoo has an insect zoo...

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

If you want to see animals in a zoo you should go on a cloudy day. The animals are more likely to be out where you can see them. If it's sunny they stay more hidden.

Can I borrow some fudge?

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought the borat movie was pretty gross in some points ... but i still loved it ;)

yekshemush!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

Dr. Doolittle!

I would actually rather go to the zoo and view animals, however absent or lazy, than waste money on a movie I might not enjoy.
Fudge, on the other hand, is always welcome. :)

 
At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It probably won't be released in the movies on Canada, unless it happens to be at one of those Australian Film Festivals the Australian Government love spending money on to prove we a "kulchad" and all, but I can highly recommend "28 Shades Of Brown". The cinematography made my heart weep with homesickness.

Failing that, get hold of the novel of the same name written by Nick Earls. Brilliant.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the borat movie was pretty sick in some parts esspecially. I've seen better but this one was okay i guess

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are all nice animals Lions and tigers and bears oh my .

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here molecularturtle.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Here is a fact for you. Research presents that closely 70% of all USA adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home