Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Whatever Happened To Customer Service?

This post has been inspired by a really disappointing customer service experience I had when ordering a Pizza Pizza. I know I’m getting old when I think what has happened to customer service but bear with me folks and let me vent. The story begins in the lovely abode of the lovely Nikki with a rumble in my tummy and a night of unwinding ahead of us. So I picked up the rotary and called our friendly neighbourhood pizza pizza store and ordered a family platter. Now you may be asking yourself why a family platter? If so you’re obviously not students, we hoard pizza like western grey squirrels hoard pine nuts or in Toronto little packets of coke. So I order and have to repeat everything about 4 times, especially the part about not wanting to have bbq sauce on my pizza because I detest the stuff. After completing my order I’m told it’ll get there as soon as possible. This is strange to me since there is generally a forty minute guarantee. Forty five minutes and some stomach rumbling later I call and ask what’s happened to our pizza and I was told “not to worry about it it’ll get there”

Despite this quite reassurance I was slightly perturbed about where my pizza was, who it was hanging out with and if it might be lying in a ditch somewhere with four cheese topping all over the road. However I sat by the t.v and waited quietly for my tardy pizza pizza to arrive. Fifty seven minutes later those pesky pizza’s showed up and I asked about this forty minute guarantee and was told this area did not have such a guarantee which I can understand but I wanted to see it written on my receipt. Unfortunately the pizza guy decided he couldn’t part with it, after all they’d bonded on their journey. I was prepared even to let this fly but the pizza itself was not hot, yes there’s a guarantee on that as well but maybe not in my area or when the outdoor clines go below 16 degree celcius.

So against my Canadian instincts I decided to call customer service. They were great, so great they put on my on hold for 10 minutes with out any explanation as to what was happening. Now I have things to do and a luke warm cheese steak pizza getting cold so I decide to let it go and enjoy my pizza. As I begin my pizza one thing becomes obvious, there appears to be a sticky red substance on my pizza pizza. Now willing to give the benefit of the doubt I went CSI on the pizza and made sure it was not blood or some sort or Red Blood Cell extract but it was indeed bbq sauce. Thus began my venture for truth and justice.

I decided to write them an e-mail since I had such a terrible time with them on the phone. On Wednesday I hadn’t heard back from them so I decided to call customer service again. It was there I was told that although I wrote an e-mail they couldn’t help me I had to deal with the e-mail people who apparently can take as long as they wish to reply due to the fact “they may get a million e-mails one day and zero the next” This seemed a little off so through some convincing I got my e-mail to get ahead of the other 999 999. I was told that they would give me a 5 dollar credit although they didn’t sound too happy about it. Now since the order was worth about 34 dollars and any pizza at the place (whose identity I have tried my best to conceal) would be more than 7 that seems slightly unfair.

What do you guy’s think about this? Also what’s the worst customer service experience you’ve ever had? Also isn't office space a fantastic movie?

13 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe Office Space...ya my hubby introduced me to that one...it's one of his fav's and yes it got me laughing too, I wouldn't say it's one of my favs though...you can see my favs on my sidebar but ya...As for customer service that's happened many times, in fact last time we ordered pizza it was all messed up too...they got the crusts and the different specific toppings for each crust wrong...you see my husband ordered 3 pizzas, with all three of the different types of crusts they offered, and I have a crust that is my fav.so I have to have that one right, so he of course ordered that crust with my topping on it, but NOOOooooooooooooo they decided to put his topping on it and on the other one and mine was put on the grosest crust ever...but ya, needless to say I too have experienced as such. I love venting!!! and reading venting!!! Thanks for a great vent-age time~

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger S. said...

Sounds like a fondue crock of poop to me! I'd prefer not to relive my painful customer service experience(s). They involve airlines. Nuff said!

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment MT~I actually was going to post an update as to how I was feeling but I got side tracked and read your blog instead, so I guess as you were reading mine I was reading you...go figure hey? Haha that's happened with another fellow blogger of mine too...it's neat when that happens I think, because then I feel like I'm not just talking to the computer, but to someone...you know like yourself a human being? but ya...just thought I'd let you know that.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Nik said...

Yeah, that was one ghey incident. I was not impressed. My poor baby's credit card.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger jin said...

Well, you know how I feel about customer service...esp. Banks!!!

A few weeks ago I went into Barnes & Noble. I picked up 3 tins of tea cos it was buy 2 get one free. After my purchase had been charged I noticed I didn't get the last tin free ($8 worth). It took ONE HOUR for them to figure out how to credit me!!! ONE HOUR!!!
Last night, same Barnes & Noble, picked up a $40 book that was 20% off. Same thing! I forgot to check until after my card went through. She didn't give me the $8 off. This time the wait was about 20 minutes.

I SWEAR they do things like this on purpose. How many people don't notice & lose out? Coaster Punchman is on this bandwagon, too. He can tell you a thing or 2 about customer service!

Sounded like you should have received MORE credit than what you did. All I can say is I hope you can find a different pizza place to go to from now on! Good Luck! :-)

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

European Eat Habits Rule 01
Fast Food Pizza should only be a emergency remedy when you're due to faint and just see a Pizza Pizza store right in front of yourself. (Tho: Mind that pizza store in the ground floor of that artsy art brick building in Richmond Street).

Never order Fast Food Pizza. Better go for the good old italian restaurant and don't be keen on experiments (like gorgonzola and asparagus with jelly beans as topping).(We Germans speak easy - just 2 hours away from Italy).

European Eat Habits Rule 01
The first remedy in situations where you can suggest that your stomach provokes a riot and nearly behaves like Sadam Hussein: Go for the good old genuine Wurschtbrot.

 
At 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gah. I weep for the pizza that may have been!

My worst experience was from a Real Estate Agent I was trying to buy a house from. Dude, that is a stressful enough experience without having a real estate agent SHOUT at you because they "have accepted another offer and WHY is your solicitor STILL demanding changes to the contract and I TOLD YOUSE yesterday that we had accepted an offer and I told YOUSE yesterday that we reckoned it wus gonna go through."

No, you didn't fucktard.

Sorry for the swearing, I just lived through that whole, grammatically incorrect experience again.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

You crack me up - I like the "Office Space" non-sequitur at the end of your post. Is that to make sure we're paying attention?

Yes, Jin is right - I haved had it up to here (I'm holding my hand a foot above my head) with customer "service" these days. I think most businesses hire their clerks straight out of prison.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Tumuli said...

You were right to contact customer service -- but it also would have been right to have the deliveryman call his manager right there and verify the policy. That worked in at least one case during college, and the pizza -- which arrived more than an hour late --was heavily discounted.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MT,
I was wondering if I could get your input on OVID (not EBSCO) Medline as I am doing a presentation on Thursday. I have to explain how it works, so I was just wondering what your opinion on it has been. Specifics would be great...for example...were you happy with it, and why?...what weren't you happy with, and why?...This is not mandatory but I thought it would bring a little interesting twist to the presentation, you know something noone has done before, and that is actually get the opinion from someone who is in that line of work and has some use for it? But ya, this presentation is for my Database Organization of Information class, so your likes and dislikes as far as using Medline to find information...how was it helpful? and so on, would be great to know...thanks~Oh and ya to hear back from you either today or tomorrow would be great! Thanks again!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Hey Demara,

Sorry for not getting back in time but I haven't check out my blog this week. I'm ok with medline but I prefer to use PubMed because I have a subscription through my university where I can access papers obtained there free of charge. It is helpful in that it has a lot of recent articles from the prominant journals listed. I'd say if there had to be a weakness it would be the fact that some of the small journals are neglected. Hopefully that helps:)

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks MT! I actually did the presentation this morning and just got this message of yours now...but thanks again...it is rather interesting to hear that about PubMed, when today the guy who researched PubMed and presented it said that, after hearing my presentation, he thought Medline was actually better than PubMed, and it's funny because both of these databases are supplied by the save vendor.

Did you know that within Medline there is a link called "Change Databases" where you can actually combine (OVID-Vendor) databases...so in other words you could combine Medline with PubMed and search both of these journals at the same time...I thought that option in Ovid Medline was amazing!!! Maybe PubMed has that option too...I missed the presentation on it and have not personally looked at it yet, but will do. Thanks for your feedback, it was good to know.

But yes it is terrible that the small journals get neglected...but it's a bonus that medline offers the addons of other journals making it easy to access free full text from else where and so on. Click here for a pdf of all the free full text articles medline has to offer...if your school doesn't have it I would suggest maybe requesting the trial version for yourself personally (it's free) or asking your school's library to get it in, as I'm sure it would be helpful to use.

Just a thank-you note for you to munch on, and to spice it up...a little suggestion too~

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Nik said...

You're hot baby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home