Of Molecular Turtles and Other Oddities

Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Turtle Has Emerged From the Shell

Greetings and salutations all six of my regular readers. I apologize for my lack of posts lately but school and work were both remarkably busy. Firstly, I would really like to thank everyone for their support and recommendations with the Guido situation. I did end up going to his Jack and Jill but someone else in the wedding party plied me with wine. It was pretty good, definitely wasn’t Frisky Zebras.

The next happening was that I got rear ended on Valentines day. My work place was nice enough to let me work from home so I didn’t get into an accident. Now I spent most of the day inside working away, however, I decided to step out of my house for the briefest of drives. While on the road someone trying to make a light slid through the intersection. My little Honda Civic decided not to be civil and slide into a huge pile of snow. Strangely after young Clifford (the gentleman who rear ended me, get you mind out of the gutter) went out to inspect the damage there was none. However, I needed four people to move my car out of the snow bank.

Another source of stress for me was the fact that I had to give a presentation worth 75% of my grade. We (my group) met with the three people who act as advisors to our programme and even though they were in the same room they each wanted totally different things for the presentation. Our group choose to totally revamp the presentation even though we had three days and ended up with something good. The end result is a presentation with a mark of A+.

Yet another source of stress is the fact that I have tons of work to do at work. This wouldn’t really stress me out so much normally but the problem is that everyone who could help and guide me through situations is gone. The two people who were tutoring me previously are gone due to contracts ending. On top of that my boss is on medical leave. Now the person who is replacing my boss is gone for a week for training. That leaves me feeling stressed.

So with all this on my plate what I would like to know is how all you people keep everything organized.

I promise next week there will be a much better blog enty.

12 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Hmm, I hope I never gave you the impression that I am capable of keeping anything organized. Once upon a time, I maintained that illusion. But now, I prefer others to know ahead of time, so I don't get anyone's hopes up.

As far as stress on the job, I suggest sampling the single malt scotch aisle. Laguvulin (sp?) is my favorite, but Macallan 12 isn't so bad either.

Congrats on the A+. You are awesome!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger BerryBird said...

Glad to see you pop up in my Bloglines, MT. I had gotten a little worried about you. Not that I am happy to hear about your being rear-ended during that storm, or that work and school are stressful, but I'm glad it's nothing worse. Great job on the school project. That is something to celebrate!

I can really sympathize with you about the lack of mentorship at work thing. I have been at my new job almost two weeks now, and my three bosses have been on vacation, working from home, traveling for work, or out sick much of that time. It's certainly easier to come up to speed with a little guidance.

I've been struggling with issues of time management and balance lately myself, so I will withhold any organizational tips so I don't feel like a fraud. Keep your chin up.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Demara said...

It's funny you'd ask that MT really!!! Because I was just going to do a post on that...but I'm not sure if it would help your stress or not, we'll see.

Take Care~

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger ROENTGEN said...

The weather was crrrrazy. I never imagined Toronto to be THAT cold. So glad you could work from home. Everything else will settle

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Shionge said...

Glad to see you back MT :)

I was once like you having my plate full too and the good thing for me is I need very litte sleep and also, I haven't discover blogging yet so lucky me :)

I worked, attended meeting, go for night class, meet over the weekend for project work as well. So my quality time really is when I tucked the kids to bed and do my own research till the wee hours of the morning. Looking back, I'm amazed by my strength then.

You can do MT! Hang on for a while till your fellow colleagues are back :)

You'll be happily satisfy when all this is over ;)

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Eve Grey said...

Oh so sadly, the way i keep organized is by putting every single thing in my life that i need to do in my Outlook calendar with a reminder. If it is not there, it does not exist. And i also write many many portable lists. On the upside, i am a supremely productive person. How horrendously boring that sounds.

 
At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get rid of Post-It notes.

I keep some in my drawers but only to write the ocassional phone message or sandwich order on.

For organisation, they can drive you barmy.

I prefer a spiral bound notebook, when something comes up I write it down. I use a page at a time and cross things off with a purple highlighter once they have been done (for me, it has to be purple, purely because I have this moronic idea that purple highlighters are more exclusive because most people use yellow, pink, green or orange).

Any task not achieved before I need to start a new page gets transferred to the next page...

All my meetings go in Outlook, even personal appointments like erm... trips to my beautician.

It may be a bit anal and manual for you, but it works for me!

And don't let the stress overwhelm you, when we are stressed we tend to do the worst possible things for it.

Lack of sleep, drinking, eating poor food, illicit substances.

Try and get a lot of sleep, eat well and LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.

From your Mum in Australia.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Excellent work on the A+! If we can just keep you off the roads, all will be well.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Gill said...

Or. gan. what was that word? Ized?
Not sure what that means.
I wake, I dress, I breathe.
The rest, let the chips fall where they may. If no one gets hurt...it's organized. xo
Nice to see you back! Sorry I had no helpful information about the subject matter. I am no expert however.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Nik said...

I have to agree with Dale. :D

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Dale said...

You don't have to Nikki but I'm glad you do. Put down those fingers!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger natalie said...

Organization, what's that? :)

Most of the time, I'm just trying to keep my head about water!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home